Sunil Sood is the Managing Director and CEO of Vodafone India since April 2015.
Sunil began his career in the FMCG industry in various roles across India and emerging markets in Africa and South East Asia, including the role of CEO of Pepsico in Bangladesh.
He started his telecom journey with Vodafone in the summer of 2000, then Hutch, as Vice President, Sales & Marketing, Delhi. Over the years, he has held several senior positions including Business Head of key circles, Director - Business Operations and as the Chief Operating Officer (COO), before taking over his present role as MD & CEO.
In addition to his responsibilities at Vodafone, Sunil is also the Chairman of the British Business Group (BBG) Mumbai, a confederation of organizations with interests in India and UK, the Vice Chairman of Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI), the industry body for GSM telecom operators in India, a Director on the board of Indus Towers, the world’s largest telecom tower company and a member of several prestigious industry bodies/associations/public policy forums including CII, FICCI and ASSOCHAM
Sunil was recognized as Distinguished Alumnus by his alma maters the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta and the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
He is also an alumnus of the prestigious Harvard Business School.
Under Sunil’ s steer as MD and CEO, Vodafone hit a record high Revenue Market Share, emerged the biggest winner in the spectrum auctions 2016, and rolled out broadband services (3G+4G) across the country. This makes Vodafone India one of the largest telecom networks globally and also the single largest foreign direct investor in India.
In various capacities, Sunil contributed to Vodafone India’s journey with revenues growing exponentially from INR.400 crores to over INR. 42,000 plus crore and customers growing from 3 million to over 200 million plus.
Under Sunil’s stewardship, Vodafone’s teams came together and won several awards and recognitions
- AON “Best Employer India, 2018” Award
- Vodafone was acknowledged amongst the top 10 Most Trusted Brands in the country in the Brand Trust Report 2018 conducted by Trust Research Advisory and published in Brand Equity, Economic Times
- Vodafone has been recognized as India’s no.1 Telecom Brand, 2017 by International Brand Corporation, USA. Vodafone was selected as India’s no. 1 brand from a pool of 50 best brands across India
- Vodafone won big at the Business World HR Excellence Awards, 2017 winning across 5 categories including Excellence in Compensation and Benefits, Talent Acquisition, Diversity & Inclusion and Performance Management.
- Vodafone won much acclaim at the Voice & Data Young Leadership Awards 2017 – IoT/Customer Service, Enterprise Services, E/M-Governance, Marketing Services and CSR
- #MakeMostofNow – The Vodafone Data Strong network campaign won gold at IndiAA awards 2017.
- Frost and Sullivan Awards, 2017 - Telecom Wallet & Enterprise Telecom Service Provider-SMB Top 25 workplaces that attract best-of-breed talent - LinkedIn's 2017 ranking
- Won Best Mobile Customer Service and Industrial IoT in ET Telecom Awards, 2017
Sunil is married to Tanya and has 2 children Tara and Aditya. He is an ardent lover of art who takes keen interest in promoting fresh talent and lives by the credo “Success will never come without risks”